As volunteer, you stand to gain several immeasurable benefits from actively giving your time, energy and other resources to communities in need. Below are some of the benefits to the (1) Our Organization (2) community and (3) individual (volunteer.
A) Expected Benefits of volunteering to the community
1) School enrollment of refugee children and other disadvantaged / street children will be improved since challenges confronting them will be gradually but consistently addressed.
2. Marriage couples living in disarray will now be happier as they will be counseled on domestic violence issues and its effects by professional counselors.
3. The poor health situation confronting vulnerable children in the community will be improved through the provision of medical aid to those who cannot afford their medical expenses, increase the availability of medical professionals to reduce the high rate of doctor-patient ratio, among others.
B) Benefits to the Volunteer
Volunteering with our organization is meaningful which will have positive impact on our community. And also many other benefits for volunteers too. Below are some reasons to volunteer with our organization.
1. Learn or develop a new skill
Volunteering is the perfect vehicle to discover something you are really good at and develop a new skill. As Mahatma Gandhi said, “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” It is never too late to learn new skills and no reason why you should stop adding to your knowledge just because you are in employment or have finished education. Planning and implementing a major fundraising event can develop goal setting, planning and budgeting skills. Supervising and training other volunteers’ helps to develop supervisory and training skills. These are examples of skills that can enhance a career but you don’t have to develop skills with the intention of facilitating your career. The possibilities are many.
2. Meeting a diverse range of people
As volunteering brings together diverse range of people from all backgrounds and walks of life. Both the recipients of your volunteer efforts and our staff can be a rich source of inspiration and an excellent way to develop your interpersonal skills. Volunteering also offers an incredible networking opportunity. Not only will you develop lasting personal and professional relationships but it is also a great way to learn about refugees and their challenges. Networking is an exciting benefit of volunteering and you can never tell who you will meet or what new information you will learn and what impact this could have on your life. So why not volunteer with us.
3. Be part of your community
No man or woman is an island. We sometimes take for granted the community that we live in. People and societies co-depend on each other for survival but growth of such things as commercialism is seeing traditional values being disregarded. Communities are suffering due to the growth of secular societies but at the same time we can really bridge the gap through volunteering. Volunteering is ultimately about helping others and having an impact on people’s wellbeing. What better way is there to connect with our community and give a little back? As a volunteer, you certainly return to society some of the benefits that society gives you.
4. Motivation and sense of achievement
Fundamentally, volunteering is about giving your time, energy and skills freely. Unlike many things in life, there is choice involved in volunteering. As a volunteer you have made a decision to help on your own accord, free from pressure to act from others. Volunteers predominantly express a sense of achievement and motivation, and this is ultimately generated from your desire and enthusiasm to help. Sometimes volunteers are regarded as ‘good-doers’ and those that hold that view also assume that one person can never make a difference. It may be true that no single person can solve all the world’s problems, but what you as a volunteer can do is to make that little corner of the world where ever you found yourself just that little bit better. The refugees are open to all with high level of hospitality.
5. An opportunity to boost your career options
If anyone is considering a change of career, then volunteering is a perfect way to explore new fields. If you have a passion for serving the underprivileged but have career in computing then why not volunteer with our organization located and serving thousands of Liberian refugees? Or if your ambition is to be a doctor, it is still possible at the refugees’ hospital – the ideal way to expand your work portfolio in your field and to gain a real insight into your chosen path. See above for vacancies available.
6. New interests and hobbies
Sometimes we do get locked into the “rat-race” of life and volunteering can give that escape to everyday routine and create a balance in our lives. Finding new interests and hobbies through volunteering can be fun, relaxing and energizing. The energy and sense of fulfillment can carry over to a work situation and sometimes helps to relieve tensions and foster new perspectives for old situations. Sometimes a volunteer experience can lead you to something you never even thought about or help you discover a hobby or interest you were unaware of. You can strengthen your personal / professional mission and vision by exploring opportunities and expanding your horizons.
7. Ability to gain new experiences
Volunteering is a brilliant way to get life experience. Whether you build a library or mail flyers to raise awareness on refugees plight, you will experience the real world through hands-on work. This guide section has established that volunteers can do almost anything and with the new millennium has dawned an era of infinite volunteer opportunities. For example, it is possible to volunteer in developing countries and see the direct impact of your actions on some of the most vulnerable people of the world like in the case of refugee settlement. You could skydive for charity, a chance to experience the ultimate thrill and raise funds to help the children in our community and beyond.
8. Certificate of Voluntary Service
In appreciation for a good service, we issue certificate for satisfactory service to all our volunteers be it part time, full time or on line.
9. Additional Service
In addition to the above in 8, we would provide the following services
• Airport pickup on your arrival and drop-off on your departure
• Accommodation throughout the agreed period of service.
• Placement to a partner institution that offers volunteer’s area of interest
• Orientation; pre-arrival and on arrival orientation are given to volunteers about the community and about our services. please click here to read more about the pre-arrival orientations
• Tourist Visit to historic sites in Ghana includes the slave trade, waterfalls, zoo etc.
• 24 / 7 Internet facility on your laptop.